Beargrease cancelled

After postponing the John Beargrease Sled Dog Marathon one month to await a substantial snowfall that never came and considering alternative courses, its board of directors decided to cancel the race. For the financial stability of the race, we have no choice but to cancel. It was a very hard decision. We’ve looked at starting the race farther north where there is more snow, but the lack of snow in Duluth was the deciding factor. We looked at starting the race near Sawbill or on Devils Track [north of Grand Marais], but because of the remoteness of those spots, it wouldn’t be fair to our sponsors. The race just wouldn’t have had the visibility from the media or the spectators if we started up there. The current musher’s on the list will receive first right or refusal for the 25th Running of the Beargrease in 2008. We would like to thank the hard working and supportive volunteers for the time they’ve put into this great race!


More Posts